[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral?

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 00:08:15 UTC 2006

Hi Russell,

  A postscript.

  Russell asks:

  "Is it the case that you want to live in a world that was not consciously created (whatever the nature of the world) or not at all?"

  I should have addressed this question more directly. I suppose that one could argue that the world today is already consciously created. In other words, humans have somewhat already changed the world into something new. Furthermore, many human babies are conceived intentionally, which means that the life (or subjective experiences) of the child has indeed been consciously created. And even further furthermore, the Universe that I hold in my mind is already a model/simulation, it does not reflect "nature" as it actually exists. Let me amend my comments by adding this: I would not mind being "consciously created" by a simulator as long I was readily allowed to leave the simulation and enter the "real" world where I would be treated with equality. After all, the first conscious machine will be created by what amounts to a "simulator". I hope that it will also be granted the rights due to a human.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich