[extropy-chat] Psychogenic Fields (was Role of MWI and Time Travel)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 09:08:53 UTC 2006

--- Harry Harrison <xyz at iq.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:50:49 -0700 (PDT), "The
> Avantguardian" <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> said:
> > In the context of a human brain, I suppose it
> would do
> > so by coordinating the flow of ions (action
> > potentials) in a coherent fashion across synapses
> in
> > localized regions of the cortex.
>
> Action potentials do not flow accross synapses.

You are correct, my mistake.

> I do not understand why you need a PF.

Well my original intent was simply to mathematically
abstract it as a tensor field which are routinely used
to model things which are not true "force fields" like
fluid vortexes and what not. On the other hand,
quantum mechanics is filled with phenomena that seem
like forces although they are not like the Pauli
exclusion principle, coherence, and entanglement. They
perform action at a distance but don't seem to obey
the inverse square law, speed of light, or other
hallmarks of classical forces.

> You want the
> PF to
> generate EM. So why not have EM generate the PF? But
> then
> why have the PF at all if it is reduceable to EM?
> There's
> no additional predictive power and so you should
> remove it
> since it makes your existing theory bigger but not
> more powerful.

Yeah, you are probably right although I do like the
catchy name. Physicists try to come up with a GUT to
convince everyone that the four fundamental forces of
nature are actually the same thing. Biologists
conversely maintain that dolphins and porpoises are
distinct species based of their difference in size and
the shape of their teeth. I suppose I will chalk this
one up to a biologist's penchant for pointless
classification. :)

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does." - Richard Feynman on QM