[extropy-chat] Antarctica timezone(s)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun Jun 4 13:13:21 UTC 2006

MB:
>What I find funny is that DST is used in the American stations... Are we
>nuts? Or am I so ignorant that I am misunderstanding? Isn't "daytime"
>rather different at the poles?  What am I missing?

The time zone assignments might not be for any physical reason, but for
convenience instead, based on travel connections.

McMurdo and Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station follow New Zealand's time
zone with their respective daylight saving, probably for simple
convenience to follow one country's time zone, and New Zealand's time
zone makes the most logical sense if one has a choice to arbitrarily
choose one zone.  I think the only or most common way to reach
Antarctica is via Cristchurch, New Zealand, at least I know it is via
this route for scientists of NASA and other US projects.

This is my best explanation.  If I learn anything more on this, I'll let
you know!

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/