[extropy-chat] Climate skepticism patterns

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 6 20:53:39 UTC 2006

John Quiggin talks about how doomsayers on both sides are wrong, both
the Deep Greens who say we need to cut our standard of living and "Dark
Browns" who say we can't afford to protect the environment because it
would cut our standard of living.

http://johnquiggin.com/index.php/archives/2006/06/05/against-the-doomsayers/

And he links to an article on the ozone hole and the history of
skepticism to that, and the tactics used by industry and Republican
politicians.  I invite people still wondering about anthropogenic global
warming to draw analogies, and also to link to Bayesian agreement, e.g.
"if the mass of peer-reviewed scientists say X, and you want to believe
Y, how likely is it that you are smarter or less biased than they,
especially in light of the ozone hole history, and the human
predilection to underestimate one's own bias?"

http://www.wunderground.com/education/ozone_skeptics.asp

-xx- Damien X-)