[extropy-chat] Climate skepticism patterns

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 16:01:45 UTC 2006

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:39:54PM -0700, spike wrote:
>
> > would otherwise be devoured by the bears.  What is the value of a polar
> > bear?  Couldn't we just breed the Canadian grisly to be white?
>
> What's the value of methane released from permafrost clathrates
> into the atmosphere?

### Immense. An increase in the average temperatures will be very
useful to expand farming to feed the burgeoning population of the
world. The benefits of even modest warming have been calculated by
economists to run into billions of dollars in the US alone (I can dig
up the reference from Marginal Revolution if anybody is interested).

Rafal