[extropy-chat] Climate skepticism patterns

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:19:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:08:36PM -0700, "Hal Finney" wrote:

> damage if cleanup never occurs?  Teller claims that a ONE-TIME set-aside
> today of 1.74 billion dollars would generate enough interest in 50 years
> to indefinitely fund a stratospheric shield.  Compare to about $60 billion

So as we put more and more CO2 into the air, increasing the greenhouse
capability, we dim the sun more and more to make up for it?  I sense a
problem down that road.

As for costs, I'd note that Amory Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute
and Winning the Oil Endgame (www.rmi.org, www.oilendgame.com) argues we
can cut emissions a lot for low cost or even profit, with lightweight
strong-material cars being a big part of it.  Lots of existing unused
efficiency potential, in cars and buildings.

-xx- Damien X-)