[extropy-chat] Extinctions

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 10 15:23:49 UTC 2006

> ### The actual number of species gone extinct since the ascendancy of
> man is surely much higher. Diversity surveys consistently show that
> every little patch of forest tends to have a lot of species that
> nobody has seen anywhere else, and many millions of patches of forest
> have been cut recently.
> >
> > So, how do we fix it?

Stop dumping fresh water into the sea, divert rivers inland to the mostly
wasted US interior, create a rain forest there.  Move species from the
doomed Brazilian rain forest to that place.  Charge touristas to see the
biodiversity, kind of like a huge green Disneyland.

I noticed that USian environmentalists do not flock to Brazil in huge
numbers, and I fully understand why: it is useless to preach environmental
stewardship to hungry people.  I figure it will take another thirty to fifty
years before the US is as crowded and hungry as Brazil is today.  So we have
time to temporarily save a huge number of rain forest species, if we get
right on it.