[extropy-chat] Extinctions

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 05:03:39 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Extinctions
>

> On Jun 11, 2006, at 8:07 AM, spike wrote:

> > ...  Alternative energy sources will go nowhere until
> > the cheap oil is burned, for instance.
>
> I have been amazed to watch the stock price of many alternative
> energy companies fall while oil stays in the stratosphere.  Something
> is wrong.  I don't think it is "greed".   I think it is a deep
> recognition of sunk cost in oil based infrastructure.
>
> - samantha

Ja, that is why I consider ethanol the most promising near-term alternative.
Most modern cars can be fairly cheaply modified to run on 85% ethanol.  We
can use the existing underground tanks, the pumps, the tanker trucks, etc.
It will be ethanol in the short run, not hydrogen, not liquid natural gas.
Disappointingly low tech, but it is the cheapest next step.