[extropy-chat] Extinctions

KAZ kazvorpal at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 21:31:20 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Martin Striz <mstriz at gmail.com>
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:33:57 AM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Extinctions

> they came upon a bounty, they used it up.  Lottery winners spend their
> millions in an average of 4 years.  We are notoriously bad planners in
> the long term.

That's a very poor example, because the more one spends on lottery tickets, the dumber they are.

It's popularly known as a Stupidity Tax.

Even aside from how idiotic taking the lottery seriously is, because it has the worst risk/cost/return ratio of all forms of gambling (as you'd expect, since it's run by government), there's the kind of mental disability that's necessary for the lottery to be PART of one's long-term planning.

There may be no group less capable of long-term planning than those who participate the most in government lotteries.

--
Words of the Sentient:
The argument that the West was somehow to blame for world poverty was itself a

E-Mail: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
Yahoo Messenger/AIM/AOL: KazVorpal
MSN Messenger: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
ICQ: 1912557