[extropy-chat] Space: The Final Constraint

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 14 00:14:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:02:25PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> No, sorry, but I am talking about after people---if we get so lucky---
> are uploaded.
>
> Where the discussion comes back to Earth is in public choices over
> whether to sacrifice nice, real landscapes for virtual ones. Imagine

When there is a real, existing capability to have virtual environments
which are fully competitive with natural ones, then this question might
have merit.  But the context here is a thread about extinctions, and
what felt like a dismissal of environmental concerns today because we'll
just be able to simulate it later.  Or in your case, simulate the
experience of it!  Dismissing real problems and *loss* today for the
sake of hypothetical abilities tomorrow, to use your words, fills me
with dismay.

-xx- Damien X-)