[extropy-chat] Extinctions

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 01:58:21 UTC 2006

--- KAZ <kazvorpal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ethanol produces half as much energy as gasoline,
> and costs more per gallon, even with gas prices
> tripled by Bush's warmongering.

Actually given maximum thermodynamic efficiency for
both, more like a third, assuming that the octane is
completely and cleanly burned. Internal combustion
engines are not good at this, however, because the
fuel air mixture is not optimal.

> Of course electric cars may indeed have replaced
> gasoline by now, to some extent, if not for the ban
> on nuclear power plant building. The whole country
> could be run on nuclear power by now, which could be
> much cheaper than fossil fuels.

The whole country SHOULD be run on nuclear power.

> Instead, most of our
> electricity still comes from fossil fuels, causing
> ironic situations like how you pollute more with an
> electric car, in California, than with a
> gasoline-powered car, because the environmental
> fearmongers have effectively banned ALL power plant
> production, leaving the state run off of coal-fire
> plants which put more nuclear radiation in the
> atmosphere than a nuclear plant.

Yes. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Fast_Reactor

99 times more efficient than other reactor designs and
only short half-life waste is generated. So sad, you
could cry.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our physics students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my physics students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does." - Richard Feynman on QM