[extropy-chat] Uses to which Space Could Be Put (was Space: The Final Constraint)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Wed Jun 14 04:13:42 UTC 2006

Eliezer writes

> > As for *space* not being the final constraint, well, if you want
> > to add entropy as a prior constraint, don't forget to list these:
> >
> >     supply of raw materials in the Solar System
> >     supply of human vigor and enthusiasm
> >     supply of federal dollars, Euros, yen, etc.
> >     supply of willing voters & politicians
> >     etc.
>
> I'm saying that negentropy is the *limiting* constraint - not energy,
> not space, not even cooling area.  The limiting constraint is what you
> have least of, relative to your other resources, and what you cannot
> easily make more of.

What?  Well that definitely applies to the things on my list too!

Of course, it revolves around what one may mean by "easily".

In this discussion---which is primarily about *values* and about what
one should do with one's space---one cannot easily make any of the
above. Sorry to the list if we're only arguing about what I meant by
"final" and what you mean by "limiting".

Lee