[extropy-chat] Uses to which Space Could Be Put

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Wed Jun 14 06:30:00 UTC 2006

Russell writes

On 6/14/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:
> > In this discussion---which is primarily about
> > *values* and about what one should do with one's
> > space

> It's not obvious to me that everyone should do
> the same thing with their space.

That's right!  But if we switch to a slightly more
accurate vocabulary, the question takes on the form
of how much you would or would not approve of people
doing various things with their space.

> For example, some people on this list have expressed
> a fairly gung-ho desire to ascend rapidly to
> superintelligence. I personally don't have an exact
> or final answer to that, but I'm feeling inclined
> to stick closer to the human norm (albeit with
> uploading if and when that becomes available).

For sure.  One *could* (and yes, would) use one's space
selfishly, primarily. That wasn't what I was getting at,
though.

I would like folks to express how much they'd disapprove
of this or that. For example, we'd all disapprove of
someone using his space as a torture chamber, or even
of someone just letting it remain a vacuum. In the latter
case we'd say "what a waste!".

So more concretely (and down to Earth), let's say that
the Earth's surface got expanded by ten square kilometers
by some alien, and it happens to ask you what should be
done with it. It says that you can have the 10km^2 be
desert, forest, vacuum, cities, or anything else familiar
already on Earth.

In the key case of cities, it would be populated by people
who had been aborted before birth---the alien somehow
manages to use a time warp or something, and there they
are in their complete cities!

Or you can have the city filled with all the most creative
geniuses who ever died young, and by millions more who were
aborted. (So at very least we get Schubert, Galois, and Henry
Moseley, etc.)

So what would you pick?  Surely not an Arctic wilderness.
Any better ideas?

Lee