[extropy-chat] Health data

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Jun 16 18:14:38 UTC 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> So, tell me again how socialized medicine doesn't work.  Seems to work
> as well or better than ours for half as much money.

Excluding relative gross deficiencies in medical care, which is not
really in evidence in most industrialized countries, I do not see how
the cost of medical care has any significant impact on infant
mortality rates or life expectancy.  I would expect that
environmental and lifestyle factors completely dominate such that
arguments over the cost of health care among modern countries is
pretty much irrelevant to health.  I doubt the difference in life
expectancy between Utah and Mississippi (5 years!) has much to do
with medical care per se.

If the US had a socialized healthcare system tomorrow, even a very
expensive one, it would have no impact on the factors that very
likely account for differences in mortality.  It would change the
economics, but it is not the economics that are killing people (at
least not for the sake of this discussion).  It seems that the
discussion here is conflating two mostly unrelated issues: the
economic efficiency of health care and mortality rates.

J. Andrew Rogers