[extropy-chat] # What the #$?! are rights anyway?

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jun 16 22:55:52 UTC 2006

You are setting up a number of straw men. I am not particularly
interested in your Orwellian Universe.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com :
>So if come upon a hermit that has a pot of gold in
>some remote woods somewhere, and I am certain that
>nobody would miss him, I am within my rights to kill
>him and take his gold?

Then you would commit murder and theft. By reason that he is a man and so
are you.

>This A.I. takes you aside and says, "Amara, unless you can convince me
>otherwise, I am going to upload you painlessly into a suitably
>arcadian runtime environment and use your body to make carbon control
>rods to moderate my nuclear reactor.

That is called coersion and initiation of force and I will defend my life
because I'm human.

>How do you state your case for "a right to your body"?

Without my body I don't live.

Amara