[extropy-chat] Extinctions

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:02:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:12:12PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Smuggling operations only need to outgun (or outsmart)
> the government in *one* place.

Conversely if they get detected and heavy forces get brought in they're
dead.  I'd think border patrol would want easy detection and targetting,
with mobile force called in, vs. a "solid" wall.

> It's especially difficult when you factor in that most
> of the area (1.5 to 2 times the size of Alaska) is
> covered by trees and has no roads...

If we're talking about preventing illegal logging and farming then
that's a plus; deforestation follows roads.  (And rivers, I guess, but
then you patrol the rivers.)  Trees block rich corporations just as well
as governments.  And activity can be detectable by satellite.

-xx- Damien X-)