[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Wed Jun 21 00:59:21 UTC 2006

Anders writes:

> I wouldn't be too surprised if we can get central
> fatigue from purely mental tasks, and that some people suffer from too
> short boredom time constants.

[...]

> I think boredom is an indicator of a lack of experience of meaning. This
> can be very helpful by directing us away from fruitless tasks, but we can
> of course suffer it when we fail to see a real meaning or when we get
> important tasks whose meaning doesn't fit our intuitive sense of meaning.

This fits my experience in school, in certain classes. The studying was
almost impossible for me to do. After about 10 minutes my "brain stopped"
- I was unable to concentrate and there was no meaning to what I was
doing. Over and over the material I would go, all to no avail. My input
circuits seemed to have shut down. Surely not through overload though.

My description of this at the time  was that it was **boring**.

It rather tainted my experience of schooling, though often I'm interested
in learning new things and can (and do) put considerable energy into that.

Regards,
MB