[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 12:23:00 UTC 2006

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Russell Wallace
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

Russell wrote: My countersuggestion, to put it bluntly and pardon the French
if you're a religious man, is that those of us who are rational enough to
know better - yes, that means you Spike! - cut out the bullshit
panicmongering; it may seem like harmless fun, but the end result of panic
is ham-fisted attempts at protecting against minor or imaginary dangers,
that have the actual effect of steering the world right into the path of
very real and grave dangers.  Sir, be ashamed.

Russell, I find your countersuggestion curious indeed.  When making an
investment do you not calculate or estimate the risk before putting your
money down?  North Korea, a starving nuclear capable nation led by an
apparent madman, may be preparing to test a missile capable of carrying
their nukes to China, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Australia, Canada and the US
west coast.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13361343/

Iran is currently in a nuclear standoff with the rest of the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4031603.stm

Is it shameful panicmongering to talk about designing our cities to be less
attractive targets?

Russell wrote: More importantly: _stop_.

Russell, have you alerted your local news media to please _stop_ running
their shameful panicmongering articles that make up today's front page
headlines?