[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity, just curious:)

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Jun 23 15:55:40 UTC 2006

At 10:05 AM 6/23/2006, you wrote:

>On 6/22/06, Anne-Marie Taylor
><<mailto:femmechakra at yahoo.ca>femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>I figure, a form of boredom, would be someone that hasn't begun to
>formulate their
>basic interests.
>

>True, don't many of us have memories of ourselves or other children
>complaining (esp. on rainy days) "there's nothing to do".  But one has to
>wonder with TV, Video Games, the WWW, etc. now-a-days whether it is not
>still too easy for individuals to become narrowly focused and exhaust the
>(local) realm of possibilities.

That state of restlessness can be a good thing because when we are not in
involved in activities that stimulate our brains, a time of inner
contemplation can set in.  But it is that sense challenge is not easily
permeated  because it is an unknown state that people usually rush away
from to quickly find the Tivo.  But this is no excuse for humanities
general lack of will to get out and do something because most people find
that challenge too much unless someone or something urges them, or the
really need it to survive.  And if survival is not an urge of humanity,
most people seem to simply settle in and get bored.

As a child, I often complained about having nothing to do, while I grew up
with 4 siblings in a highly imaginative and innovative family. We had
plenty to do with Mores Code tree houses, cricket courses, gymnastics,
miniature golf course, big pond for swimming or skating and theater stage
in our basement.  There was ALWAYS something to do!  But it was part of my
own inner search to have something new and different to learn that cause me
to tell my Mother than I had nothing to do.

I remember I would ask her to tell me how to spell words, and she would
say, "Look it up in the dictionary," and I'd want her to just spell it for
me.  Because I was one of the youngest, I expected my siblings, or our
parents, to be the instigators of our games.  When I decided to be an
artist I learned how to learn to create.

People tend to expect others to entertain them. When that moment of
restlessness sets in, most people think someone or something will change
the mood.  Most people do not know how to be creative, and many have not
been taught how to learn to create.

Not all Austropithicus thought of the cutting tool, but the one(s) who did
showed it to the others.  This is a pattern in humanity.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist - Designer
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller