[extropy-chat] When did intelligence first emerge in theuniverse?

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Jun 23 21:40:40 UTC 2006

Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> Wrote:

> what explains all of the "dark energy" or missing "dark matter"?  [.] the
> "exoplanet" count is now up to about 170 now -- but there is *zero*
> evidence that they are classical "planets" (instead of say Jupiter
> Brains).

There is zero evidence that these planets orbiting other suns are anything
more than just planets. As for Dark Matter, well, nobody knows what it is,
all we know is that it must be different from normal matter (that is stuff
made up of baryons) and it's about 10 times as abundant.

One of the triumphs of the Big Bang theory is that it explains how the
lighter elements were made during the first few seconds of the big bang. The
calculated abundance of these elements and their observed abundance are in
excellent agreement (especially regarding deuterium) . However if Dark
Matter were normal matter and there were 10 time more of it around than we
thought the abundance of light elements observed and their calculated value
would not be even close.

I see no reason why Jupiter brains can't be made of normal matter so I see
no reason to think Dark Matter is made up of Jupiter Brains. I don't even
want to talk about Dark Energy, although even more common than Dark Matter
we know even less about it.

So in short the universe does not look engineered to my eyes, so one of 2
things must be true:

1)  Something always destroys a civilization when it reaches a certain
point. (There is absolutely no reason to think this experiment will be the
least bit dangerous, it's the next logical step, we could learn a lot from
it, anybody would try it, there are no moral complications, it's not
controversial, it's completely and totally safe in every way. So I'll just
turn on the machine an....)

2) We are the first.

 John K Clark