[extropy-chat] When did intelligence first emerge in theuniverse?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 04:38:36 UTC 2006

On 6/24/06, Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cough... And precisely *where* is the data coming from that is providing
> those element abundances?  If MBrains or NBrains can disassemble planets and
> stars do you not think they could preassemble the solar system to look a
> particular way?  Do you feel they could put a few hundred million satellites
> in orbit around the outer solar system to make the elements in the Universe
> appear to have the "mix" we observe?   "Gee look Joe, if I take this light
> and properly time the variation in power inputs the it will look exactly
> like a gravitational microlens to the observers watching from Earth.  Oh
> yes, and don't forget that they are expecting to get that faint radio signal
> from that Voyager satellite we have sitting over in the corner next week."

Welcome to the Cartesian club. At least I think Descartes was the first
person to both formulate this theory and have his ideas transmitted to the
present day, though I'm open to correction. His way out was to believe in
God, then decide that God, being good, would not deceive him. What's your
way out, or do you have one yet?