[extropy-chat] When did intelligence first emerge intheuniverse?

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 19:57:09 UTC 2006

--- Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:
> But  at 0.01c it only takes 10 million years to take
> a galaxy dark.  If you
> assume a mixed population of "natural",
> partially-engineered and
> "completely-engineered" galaxies you get a universe
> which is much more
> explainable than hand waving involving "dark matter"
> that the best
> explanations involve *undetectable* particles.  Now
> what seems more like
> "fantasy" -- undetectable particles or a universe
> semi-developed by
> intelligent civilizations?  We *have* evidence that
> intelligent
> civilizations can exist -- we have little or no
> evidence that undetectable
> particles can or do.

It is curious that the location of the vast halo of
undetectable "dark matter" hypothesized to surround
galaxies to explain their rotational speed anomalies
seems to correspond well with the location of the
theorectical "life zone" as well. I find such
coincidences interesting. I also don't think Dyson
spheres are any harder to believe in than mysterious
undetectable massive particles that don't interact
with anything else.

I think the Fermi Paradox is evo-psychological in
origin. Why waste energy alerting potential predators
to one's existence?

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"God doesn't play dice with the universe." - Albert Einstein

"Einstein, don't tell God what to do." - Neils Bohr