[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do (was StringTheory)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Jun 26 05:30:55 UTC 2006

Russell:
>Cooking is long since automated (after all, the idea is pretty simple:
>pop a pizza in the microwave and heat it as quickly as possible), but
>people still enjoy doing it.

Olga:
>Aiii, apples and oranges.  Russell, Russell, Russell ... Julia Child is
>spinning in her grave.  And foodies all over the world are shaking their
>heads "Tsk, tsk, tsk ..." :)

from my collection of vignette stories June 2005

--------{begin quote}

One reason that Italian cuisine is so good is that most Italians
think of food frequently throughout the day. Planning, thinking,
preparing, so that by mealtime, they have put far more thought into
their meal than any other culture I know.

One afternoon when I visited the National Etruscan Museum at Villa
Giulia (Rome) with Silke, we discovered the reason behind the
Italians' food thought-processes. They have had 2000 years to
develop it from the Etruscans! At the museum we saw an exhibit
titled 'Etruscans and Food', where we saw descriptions of the
contents of their food, how they prepared their food, and how they
ate their food (dinnerware). So you see you can do it too, but
you might need 2000 years for your brain develop the skill...

-----------{end quote}

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/