[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do (was StringTheory)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jun 26 08:02:10 UTC 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 11:40 PM, Terry W. Colvin wrote:
> One treat is mozzarella cheese made with the milk of water
> buffalo.  Mozzarella cheese made in the U.S. is an ersatz bland
> version.
> Have you tried it?

There are many different types of mozzarella cheese available in the
US from a few different countries, including both water buffalo and
cow types.  The quality varies widely, but you are correct that most
of it is horribly bland, including some of the imported Italian
buffalo types.  That said, it is possible to get proper, flavorful
buffalo mozzarella in most decent metros -- it is a common import.
I'll add that there is the rare bovine mozzarella that also has
excellent if slightly different flavor.  I've had crappy mozzarella
all over the world, the good stuff being an exception rather than the
rule. :-)

As a more general comment, a lot of Italian imports are not actually
from Italy but merely shipped from there.  Olive oil is probably the
best example of Italian export branding of non-Italian products, much
of which actually comes from Spain and other countries via Italy.
And truth be told, Spanish olive oil is excellent.  The Italians have
built a brand with respect to food, but do not produce remotely
enough food for the export market.  For many typical "Italian export"
items, they do not even produce enough for their domestic market.

J. Andrew Rogers