[extropy-chat] AAAS conference on retrocausation

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 26 19:03:30 UTC 2006

At 11:02 AM 6/26/2006 -0700, Stuart wrote:

> > (2) John Cramer of TI fame now thinks there
> > might be retro-causal effects, however brief.
>
>Hmmm. I do think there may be something to reverse
>causation. Some possible future timelines are more
>imminent than others and draw events toward them.

Cramer's claim was very much more specific than that. He develops a
gedanken based on a recent QT experiment (Dopfer's PhD thesis),
claiming that one should expect to see a certain effect 50
microseconds prior to its cause. Moreover, he finds this consistent
with the transactional interpretation. I still can't understand how
this compatibility is possible, given that the transactional
interpretation proposes that a rather mysterious retarded offer wave
at T1 provokes an answering and no less mysterious advanced wave at
T2 (from the effect), which reaches back in time to T1, and the
handshake outcome is the observed retarded wave at T1 (the cause of
the event at T2).

A physicist friend pointed out to me that Cramer's interpretation is
perhaps less plausible than Bohm's quantum potential, where the
photon 'senses' the environment nonlocally. For all I know, she might
be right. :)

Damien Broderick