[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:00:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:59:41PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I advocate we spread out more evenly, reducing overcrowding and improving
> quality of life for everyone.  We no longer have the conditions that led to

Being spread out more evenly would reduce the quality of life for me,
and for many others who have been moving into re-gentrified areas by
choice, because of our preference for pedestrian-friendly areas.

> enormous skyscrapers.  The skyscrapers create the need for subways, which

You can get pretty good density just with three-story buildings everywhere.

> leads to a way of life that isn't particularly pleasant: getting on a train
> every morning and evening.  We have advanced communications now, advanced

A train which is on-time, fast, and not too crowded is more pleasant
than driving, for many people.

> transportation, advanced manufacturing.  We are poised to make enormous
> advances in quality of life for the proletariat if we choose to seize this
> opportunity.

Who's the "we", here?  The government most extropians don't like?

-xx- Damien X-)