[extropy-chat] Panicmongering

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 17:07:57 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin
> ... Let me try "It's unfortunate that
> these ideas are outside your comfort zone". Close, but no
> banana...

Ja that is close enough for bananas.  {8-]

>... "You are unfortunate that these ideas are outside
> your comfort zone, and I feel your pain"?  No, that's not
> it either...

That woulda been it, but a former US president ruined that "I feel your
pain" comment forever, which is too bad because human empathy is a wonderful
thing.

> I give up. I thought I could nail it. Maybe you were just trying
> to be "nice".
>
> Lee

JA!  I am.  I know of Crocker's rules, and I always appreciate honesty, but
I am in the camp that believes that honesty, diplomacy and kindness can all
fit in the same package.  In email, often we don't know the people we
address in the flesh, oblique meanings are lost, shades of subtlety mostly
are lost in the stark glare of online communications.

Our own list has improved greatly in diplomacy in the past couple years, yet
ideas still flow.  In fact they flow better; I didn't often follow the flame
wars that used to break out, and of course didn't comment thereon.  I
commend the participants in the kinder gentler approach to debate.

We are among friends here, even those of us who disagree.