[extropy-chat] H+, autism, selection effects, biases

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 29 23:30:15 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of George Dvorsky
> Subject: [extropy-chat] H+, autism, selection effects, biases
>
> The recent Stanford conference reminded me how many Aspies are drawn to
> transhumanism. Some questions come to mind. Are there a disproportionate
> number of autistics involved in transhumanism...
>
> Cheers,
> George

Cool, thanks George!  I have been hoping someone would comment on this, so I
can add some personal observations.  About five years ago, a friend took me
to an alumni gathering at CalTech.  They had various papers presented there,
with the usual collection of space stuff, rad-cool tech, robotics,
electronic magic, etc.  I was in hog heaven of course.

My friend wanted to catch a particular paper that was on OCD and Aspergers
in tech-heads, in fact it was the reason he went to that gathering.  We
heard that there had been a change in venue because of greater than
anticipated interest in that pitch.  They put it in the largest hall
available, but as it turns out the place was packed to the rafters anyway,
every seat filled and people spilling into the walk ways.  The CalTech crowd
hung on this man's every word.  This pitch was opposite other pitches on
Mars landers, robotics, all the really cool stuff, but they packed into this
one.  I was amazed.

I have further commentary on this, but I am not sure I will post it here.  I
will offer this observation.  I am active in three online communities,
extropians first and foremost, secondly a group of mathematicians that meets
in the meat world every once in a long while, and thirdly a group of
motorcycle enthusiasts that own a particular oddball model of bike that was
built only in the 80s, few left in service.  In the meat world gatherings of
the three groups, I have noticed a definite social clumsiness in the
extropians and the definitely the mathematicians, but not with the bikers.

This seems counterintuitive to me, since the mathematicians have by far the
most in common, the extropians next.  The biker individuals actually have
very little in common, other than we happen to own this particular oddball
machine.  But whenever we bikers gather we have a rollicking good old time,
they are a hoot.  Extropian gatherings are always fun with far more
interesting conversations, but I wouldn't really say that we bond as well,
or form close friendships as much.  The mathematicians, forget it.
Interesting math talk, but real flesh world friendships seemed DOA there.

Comments welcome.