[extropy-chat] Fwd: SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Jun 30 15:39:55 UTC 2006

At 10:06 AM 6/30/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:16 PM 6/29/2006, Keith wrote:
>> >
>> http://emotionalliteracyeducation.com/abraham-maslow-theory-human-motivation
>> >.shtml
>>
>>While it isn't all wrong, this work is not rooted in science and is just
>>full of BS.
>>
>>Maslow was a pioneer in the area, but he died long before the biology folks
>>started shoving a science base under psychology.
>
>Please elaborate.

http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/research/cep/primer.html

"The goal of research in evolutionary psychology is to discover and
understand the design of the human mind. Evolutionary psychology is an
approach to psychology, in which knowledge and principles from evolutionary
biology are put to use in research on the structure of the human mind. It
is not an area of study, like vision, reasoning, or social behavior. It is
a way of thinking about psychology that can be applied to any topic within it.

"In this view, the mind is a set of information-processing machines that
were designed by natural selection to solve adaptive problems faced by our
hunter-gatherer ancestors."

Evolutionary psychology may not be the ultimate way to understanding
humans, but in my view is superior to any other approach I know
about.  Even if it is somewhat depressing.

Keith Henson