[extropy-chat] Blind Watchmaker

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Mar 3 02:00:48 UTC 2006

At 09:23 AM 3/2/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>MB mbb386 at main.nc.us :
> >>  Perhaps we need a computer game or simulation.
>
> >Ha! Now *that* sounds like it might really do something to reach the
> >young. :) One might "evolve" into a different form of player or
> >something. I wonder....
>

>SimLife:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimLife
>
>But Dawkins was earlier.
>
>My first meeting of Keith Henson was at his house for a social event
>where I remember him demonstrating Dawkins' game on his Apple Lisa
>(this was 1986 or so).

Ah yes.  The game was Blind Watchmaker and is discussed in Dawkins' book of
that name.

There was also a BBC Horizon program of the same name featuring  Dawkins
explaining evolution.  Normally the BBC Horizon programs became Nova
programs in the US, but not that one which was judged too offensive to the
religious right for US eyes to watch.  I had a copy which I used to show
groups of smart kids in the Silicon Valley area.  I might even still have it.

Keith Henson