[extropy-chat] Re Fight for Evolution?

Pete Bertine pkbertine at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:55:29 UTC 2006

Amara:

I'm not sure if we should take this off list or not, but I'm certain that
there are a few out there who enjoy me getting put in my place.  I have, by
the way, declared Crocker's Rules on sl4.org, so none should worry about
hurting my feelings.  My rough edges will only be honed but I won't go away.

I knew you'd get me on the last paragraph.  It was late and I was trying to
sleep after an exciting www.svn.org meeting.  I concede the point to you, I
am an obnoxious little prick sometimes and in the end a person's worth isn't
decided by their knowledge of cell phone technology or automotive experience
but by how much money they make.

However, I bristle when you say I didn't try.  "Aptitude" is a quick way to
say that I was a very difficult student.  I began an obvious (by today's
mental health standards) 6 month bipolar cycle in the seventh grade and had
been hyperactive since birth; I should have been on Ritalin and lithium by
age 12.  In the seventh grade I experienced the first onset of hypomania
followed by a deep clinical depression. During the few months of the year
when I had a tenuous balance I excelled in school.  Luckily my reading
skills were such that I could devour books when I was depressed and socially
withdrawn.  Unfortunately, during the clinical depression I wasn't
predisposed toward trigonometry, when I was hypomanic all I wanted to do was
chase skirts.

Mental health in the 1980's was primitive compared to the early and later
90's.  I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar until I was 20. Unfortunately, I had
been much influenced by Dianetics and popular UFO Cult mythology.  I didn't
become medicated until I was 24.

Amara, if you think I'm annoying now, picture me back then.  During rapid
cycle bipolar one goes from a state of stuporific depression that can be
misdiagnosed as retardation (not unlike what the Ape People in Turkey
probably go through), to a state of euphoria that at first is very charming
and a period of great creativity... followed by complete mental breakdown.

To make a very long story shorter, a medication, Geodon, was finally
released for use to treat bipolar in August 2004.  This medicine cleared my
mind.  I was able to put the enormous energy that had been required to fight
mood swings to actual use and I "remade" myself.

Now at the age of 37, you would be able to teach me expressions that have
more than 2 variables. At 27 or 17 you wouldn't want me anywhere near your
daughter much less sitting in a classroom with you.  However, it wasn't the
magic pills that made me into a functioning human being, it was a constant
desire to learn and make myself better.  I was forever *trying* to excel,
unfortunately, my body failed me.

So, in a very real sense, I am Transhuman.  I'm certainly heavily augmented
by science and technology.  300 mg of Depakote, 75 mg of Effexor, 40 mg of
Geodon, 1mg of Proscar, up to 3 mg of clonazepam (usually only 1mg) for
anxiety, some wine and a beer every now and again... and with the help of my
doctor I manage to stay in a steady state just below hypomania.  This
incredible cocktail has taken an enormous amount of *trying* and time.

I have changed the environment of my mind so that I can successfully control
the environment around me.  I believe that it can be argued that humanity
has become successful as a species because it learned to control the
environment, to subdue nature.  I see around me multitudes who have no idea
how the artificial and natural environment around them works.  I have no
patience for them. *They* aren't trying.

Pete