[extropy-chat] Participatory Anthropic Principle

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Fri Mar 3 15:47:39 UTC 2006

Paul writes

> Is it just me, or does PAP sound frighteningly compatible
> with solipsism?

First of all the acronym PAP seriously refers to the "Participatory
Anthropic Principle" pushed by Wheeler and others. My own device,
"Personal Anthropic Principle", though everyone is invited to investigate
it and publish their findings in prestigious journals, was really just a
joke. You may realize that, but perhaps not everyone reading your post.

But either way, in my opinion, your point does have some sting.
Under the Participatory Anthropic Principle, it is as though the
human race is conjecturing that their own semi-divine being was
what *caused* the universe to come into existence.

Think of how ridiculous we'd look if, contra-Fermi, the Galactic
Council has to see our consideration of this belief as further
evidence of immaturity, akin to that of a six-month old, and they
keep on ignoring us.

Lee