[extropy-chat] Re Fight for Evolution?

Keith M. Elis zarathustra_winced at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 17:30:03 UTC 2006

--- Pete Bertine <pkbertine at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have changed the environment of my mind so that I can successfully
> control
> the environment around me... I see around me multitudes who have
> no idea
> how the artificial and natural environment around them works.

My immediate reaction is, contrary to your claim in the first statement
above, you haven't done enough to change 'environment of [your] mind'.
Upon further reflection, you would probably agree that you can't claim
to know what one, single *individual* knows, never mind pass judgement
on the knowledge of a multitude. This tendency to see an outgroup
'multitude' as relatively homogenous in their inferiority is a blend of
at least two cognitive biases, perhaps more. Add overconfidence and our
tendency to think we know more about others than they do of us and you
will continue to say embarassing things like this in public.

>  I have
> no
> patience for them. *They* aren't trying.

Luckily for you, the group with which you have no patience probably
doesn't even exist, at least as you describe them. My guess is that
after really thinking about why you are impatient with the multitude,
you will find that you've been wasting a lot of energy on impatience
for nothing.

Keith