[extropy-chat] Maths ability

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Mar 6 02:50:32 UTC 2006

I could be wrong but I think there are times when kid's brains seize
up over something new to learn that somehow goes against the grain.
For me it was "imaginary numbers".  I was really good at math (the
more abstract the better) but my brain rebelled that any of my
blessed numbers could be "imaginary".  I had to do some serious on
the spot meditation/psychological rewiring to get past this seizing
up.  I somehow knew that if I did not that I wouldn't trust math ever
again or my ability to understand it.  It was real work to get past
that little brain glitch.  I suspect that a lot of people hit those
in various subjects and never get past them.

- samantha