[extropy-chat] Are vaccinations useless?

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Mar 14 05:11:59 UTC 2006

One of the other sources I found at the library was a health economics
textbook that Robin recommended on his web page for his students: The
Economics of Health and Health Care, by Folland, Goodman, and Stano.
This has a nice overview of the areas of consensus and controversy
regarding the causes of the dramatic decline in mortality over the past
250 years.

I have taken the liberty of typing in a couple of pages of the text,
starting at page 100.  I kept the main discussion intact, and then
included a few relevant paragraphs from the next two sections of the
textbook.  I felt that the overall discussion was remarkably gentle;
it almost reminded me of breaking the news to a child about the state
of affairs with regard to Santa Claus.  Keep in mind that this is a
beginning level textbook and that this is what is filling the minds of
budding health care economists.

It is pretty long, so if you are impatient I recommend skipping down to
"WHAT CAUSED THE MORTALITY RATE DECLINES?" and reading three paragraphs
there, then skipping to the final four paragraphs which summarize the
current state of knowledge and its implications.

Again, typos are mine.

Hal