[extropy-chat] Are vaccinations useless?

deimtee deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 14 07:49:44 UTC 2006

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned so far is that as well as
extending life,
medicine can shorten it. Misdiagnosis, incompetent surgery, hospital
infections
and adverse drug reactions go into the negative side of the ledger.  I
found this
on an alternative medicine site, (
http://www.cancure.org/medical_errors.htm   )
but I assume they're quoting accurately.

-deimtee.

*The JOURNAL of the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (JAMA)
 Vol 284, No 4, July 26th 2000 article written by *Dr Barbara Starfield,
MD, MPH,
of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, shows that
medical errors
 may be the third leading cause of death in the United States.

The report apparently shows there are 2,000 deaths/year from unnecessary
surgery;
7000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals; 20,000 deaths/year
from other
errors in hospitals; 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals;
106,000 deaths/year
from non-error, adverse effects of medications - these total up to
225,000 deaths per year
in the US from iatrogenic causes which ranks these deaths as the # 3
killer. Iatrogenic is
a term used when a patient dies as a direct result of treatments by a
physician, whether
it is from misdiagnosis of the ailment or from adverse drug reactions
used to treat the
illness. (drug reactions are the most common cause).