[extropy-chat] Appeal to Authority

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Mar 16 09:37:56 UTC 2006

>I can't find a good explanation of why "appeal to authority" is a
>fallacy or at worst something not properly done in argument. So here's
>my rough effort at articulating a possibly inherent vacuity in any
>appeal to authority during argument. This should apply as well to
>appeals to a consensus of authorities versus any dissenting
>authorities. Of course, comments are welcome.

I'm surprised you didn't find good information on it. Appeal to
Authority is one of the logical fallacies. If you Google that
("fallacies argument") it comes up. Here's one of the first that pops up:
http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.php  Is this too 'light'?

Thanks for taking the time and effort for writing your own description,
hough (apologies, I need more time to read it).

I think these arguments are also listed in Barbara Brandens' 1960's (70s?)
"Principles of Efficient Thinking, or maybe I'm not thinking
efficiently (!) and I'm remembering it from another source.  I think
her lecture series is good and, even though it is a few decades old,
I recommend it for anyone here:

http://www.barbarabranden.com/thinking.html

Amara