[extropy-chat] Emlyn mentioned flying cars....

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 01:34:08 UTC 2006

The high construction costs is of course a big problem. I think it
sits poorly with the way modern western countries work. If you want to
pay for something like this, you need to have a decentralised model,
where the technology necessitates the individual user paying, instead
of a big centralised payment.

So what about some kind of system based on inexpensive infrastructure,
and expensive cars? Maybe you have something very like standard roads,
but with whatever extra is necessary for some level of centralised
automated control (so some communications stuff). Then, you release a
standard of the level of vehicle that is allowed on that road - it
must have certain automation features, certain safety features, top
speed in some fantastically high range, etc etc etc. You make a
standardisation body for these vehicles (your vehicles is certified
"zoooom" compliant level 2, etc).

These cars would be expensive. Expensive. But then, there would be
people who'd go for it because they are convenient, they give you
functionality you didn't have before (much faster inter-city travel),
one assumes they'd have high status (you'd have to push for that from
the beginning).

You see, I think people hate paying for expensive infrastructure
through taxes, and they hate paying for expensive tickets on
public-transport-like transport modes (like inter-city flights on
planes). But, people love love love to spend money on their cars.

Can this work? Can you have a low cost infrastructure and high cost
privately constructed vehicles, still compatible with normal roads,
and use (high!) minimum vehicle standards on the special infrastucture
to give us user-pays fast inter-city travel?

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *
Our show at the Fringe: http://SpiritAtTheFringe.com