[extropy-chat] Medical expenditure, medical fraud, - Definitions???

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 12:37:26 UTC 2006

On 3/19/06, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### There is no "huge scale" of medical fraud. Most treatments offered
> by allopathic physicians today actually are not worthless, since the
> majority of them are supported by RCTs.

Well, the DOJ and FDA certainly think there is a huge problem.

The US DOJ publishes an annual report on medical fraud actions that
they have been involved in. This is a small part of the total, of
course.
<http://www.usdoj.gov/05publications/05_3_h.html>
The 2004 figure for recoveries/ fines was $1,756,327,135.
-------------------------------------

In 1996, the GAO Report to the Banking Minority Member, Subcommittee
on National Security, International Affairs and Criminal Justice,
House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight said:
<http://www.securitymanagement.com/library/000187.html>
Health care fraud burdens the nation with enormous financial costs,
while threatening the quality of health care. Estimates of annual
losses due to health care fraud range from 3 to 10 percent of all
health care expenditures--between $30 billion and $100 billion based
on estimated 1995 expenditures of over $1 trillion. In late 1993, the
Attorney General designated health care fraud as the Department of
Justice's number two enforcement priority, second only to violent
crime initiatives.

<http://www.usdoj.gov/dag/pubdoc/health97.htm>