[extropy-chat] Is Ignorance part of the genes?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 00:01:27 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I assumed that knowledge and ignorance must be part of the genes because
> some end up being wise while others are very content being ignorant.  I
> was curious to know if sometimes it's easier being content and have
> no stress or being wise and having a lot of responsibilities. (For a
> knowledgeable person  has a super set of the range of options).
> Do you think it is part of our make up or do you think ignorance is
> a choice?

Becoming more knowledgeable is a choice.  Since it is a choice that requires
some not inconsiderable effort compared to remaining relatively ignorant it
is not the default or most popular choice.  Humans conserve energy generally
speaking.  It is certainly not easier than remaining ignorant.  It tends to
maximize longer term well-being and options for self and others.  If one
values short term ease more than long term viability then ignorance is
chosen, mostly by default.

- samantha