[extropy-chat] Global warming news

Martin Striz mstriz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 03:51:30 UTC 2006

On 3/24/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

While it's obviously beneficial to preserve the rain forest, the
amount of biomass that is being cleared away has an insignificant
effect on CO2 levels compared to the stuff we're pumping out.
Consider that the amount of biomass that disappears during the winter
in the northern hemisphere is orders of magnitude more than what has
been cleared from the Amazon rain forest, yet produces miniscule
fluctuations in CO2 throughout the year.  According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide#Atmosphere the
fluctuations are 5 microliters per liter of CO2, or 0.0005% (the total
CO2 fluctuations are larger for other reasons).

Since the current CO2 levels are rising by 3 ppm on top of 380 ppm, or
about 1%, we'd need a biomass 2,000 times that of the deciduous parts
of the northern hemisphere to keep up.  Maybe if the trees were a mile
tall.

Martin