[extropy-chat] Global warming news

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Mar 25 18:40:26 UTC 2006

Re the issue of biomass influences on CO2 levels, if you look at the
chart of measured atmospheric CO2 from Mauna Loa:

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/graphics/mlo145e_thrudc04.pdf
or
http://www.planetforlife.com/images/monthlyCO2.jpg

you can see that the summer-to-winter difference is fairly substantial.
It's equivalent to about five years of CO2 increase (i.e. eyeballing the
chart it is about 5 years from a summer peak to a matching winter low).

Now, I don't know whether biomass changes are primarily responsible for
this variation.  I could imagine that temperature and sunlight variations
could have other effects as well.  I haven't tried to research it.
But it is definitely a noticeable effect.

Hal