[extropy-chat] Addwaita:250 years is a long time.

Joao Magalhaes joao at genetics.med.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 31 21:30:28 UTC 2006

Thank you, Robert.

Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible for Addwaita to be 250 years old;
I'm just saying that we can't confirm it. As for the Aldabra tortoise
record in my database, I don't remember for sure but I believe this refers
to the specimen kept at a British fort in Mauritius. While this claim might
also be classified as anecdotal, it has been investigated by some of the
earlier people keeping track of longevity records (Flower, Comfort, etc.),
making it a lot more plausible.

There are plenty of similar dubious cases either a product of tracking
errors or wishful thinking: a 49 year-old cow, dogs living 30 years, lab
mice living 6 years, etc. Unless they are clearly errors, I mention such
cases in my database -- I'll certainly add Addwaita --, but only if they
have been verified by credible experts do I include them as the longevity
record-holders for that particular species. For instance, a couple of
months ago, someone pointed out to me a 86 year-old elephant that died at a
Taipei zoo. I did some research and found out that the animal only lived
about 60 years at the zoo -- by no means a record --, being acquired at an
unknown age, and thus without any way of finding its true age at death. I
mentioned the case in the observations but did not consider it the
longest-lived elephant.

The Madagascar radiated tortoise is also classified as anecdotal in my
database, BTW, even though I mention it.

If Aldabra tortoises grow throughout its life, and I'm not sure but I
believe they do, then it might be possible to estimate Addwaita's age at
death from its body weight and size at the time of death.

Cheers,

Joao