[extropy-chat] "Bird Brian" - Not!

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue May 2 04:38:36 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ian Goddard
>
>  In my teens I used to do a lot of bird watching with
> local groups like the Audubon Society and other
> birding enthusiasts. I kept a bird list and did the
> annual Christmas count and such... ~Ian

Ian I have become a bird fan in recent years, not from learning species but
just from noticing the amazing things they do.  The classic birdwatching
never has appealed to me much because it seems too preoccupied with
identification of species and especially uncommon species.  Crows and gulls
are perhaps the very most common birds around here, so they don't get a lot
of attention.  They should.  To me, the point of watching wildlife isn't to
find the most exotic, but rather to really watch, really pay attention to
see what the beasts are doing.  Common beasts are the most easily observed
regardless of where you are.  So I am a big fan of gulls, crows and ants.