[extropy-chat] darfur

Hughes, James J. james.hughes at trincoll.edu
Tue May 2 16:52:38 UTC 2006

> US private aid *dwarfs* US government aid, by a factor of
> 3-4x depending on the source....
> I personally have a strong preference for private aid anyway, as it
> has a history of being far more constructive and having far fewer
> strings attached.

I like private development aid also. But it is limited in its capacity
to support long-term sustainable development programs, and does best
with short-term disaster, famine and refugee relief.

And not all privates are "string-less." World Vision and CARE are the
largest, and CARE works closely with USAID and is rarely critical of the
US (as compared to Oxfam for instance), while World Vision is a
Christian charity (better than the right-wing US Christian charities,
but Christian nonetheless).

J.