[extropy-chat] ANNOUNCE: Extropy Institute's Future

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed May 3 15:41:19 UTC 2006

Dear Members, friends, and colleagues:

This letter is an announcement of the events taking place at Extropy
Institute as a result of its Strategic Plan 2006. A copy of the Plan is
available on ExI's website [ http://www.extropy.org/strategicplan.htm ] for
your review. The Plan identifies some factors that ExI's Board has
considered in assessing the future of ExI and the best possible course of
action to take for ExI, its members, and other stakeholders.

The Past.  ExI was formed in 1990 by Max More and Tom Bell with a mission
to bring great minds together to incubate ideas about emerging
technologies, life extension and the future. ExI's goals were to (1)
develop an elegant, focused philosophy for transhumanism­the philosophy of
"Extropy"; (2) encourage discussions and debates on improving the human
condition; and (2) develop a culture for activists, energized and devoted
to bringing these ideas to the public. The initiatives which realized these
goals are (1) Extropy: the Journal of Transhumanist Thought; Principles of
Extropy; Extro Conferences 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5; public forums such as the
famed "extropians" and "extropy-chat" email lists; public presentations in
the news, radio, televised documentaries, talk shows, and films; and the VP
Summit of 2004 addressing the backlash from conservatives against
technological advancements.

The Present. ExI deems its mission as essentially completed. With this
said, and in respect for Extropy Institute’s legacy of achievement, the
Board voted and has unanimously agreed to close Extropy Institute's doors.

Extropy Institute's website is being memorialized by turning it into a
reference "Library of Transhumanism, Extropy, and the Future," ­the
beginnings, currents, and future of Transhumanism.

On behalf of our members, I would like to thank Max for authoring the
philosophy of Extropy1 and for his many efforts in working with others to
steer the philosophical development of transhumanism, which is truly
treasured by so many people in so many places.

The Future. As you will see by reviewing the Strategic Plan, the
Proactionary Principle stands first and foremost as the concept with the
most potential for being of great service to humanity and transhumanity as
we go forward. The Proactionary Principle (ProP) can help society by
bridging the growing gap between conservative views and progress-oriented
views, and educating society about the future. Meeting these two challenges
by providing an active course of action can be of tremendous benefit to us all.

In respect for the philosophy of Extropy and the Principles of Extropy, the
Board of Extropy Institute believes that Extropy Institute has served its
mission and achieved its goals and, in practicing the Principles of
Extropy, our next step is to focus on developing worldwide awareness of the
ProP [ http://www.extropy.org/prop.htm ] and a network for proactive futures.

With my most sincere thanks for your support over the years,

Natasha Vita-More
Extropy Institute, President