[extropy-chat] darfur

Ned Late nedlate2006 at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 20:22:46 UTC 2006

First went to a protest in 1969 and have had quite enough of them; besides, cynical isn't wrong as long as one doesn't raise one's voice to get vicious about it.
  BTW did not say I intensely dislike protesters, but rather it still can't be denied like everyone they have a combination of good & bad intentions, they go to demonstrations for a host of reasons, some participate to show off their social consciousness, some are serious.
  You don't think hippies were backward looking?? All that mysticism, astrology, traveling to rural locations such as Woodstock to find a lack of porta potties, to leave heaps of garbage, to take drugs in the rain. Why was doing so more enlightened than getting a bit drunk so as to neck and eat popcorn at the Drive-In during the '50s? It is true there were all different sorts of people labeled under the umbrella of 'counterculture', they were doing all sorts of things, but how was the counterculture necessarily forward looking? Look, all this is to say if some young inexperienced person wants to take drugs, protest, hitchike or whatever they want to do they are welcome to do so, but I want nothing to do anymore with the counterculture, nothing more to do with drugs, mysticism, colorful clothing, long hair, or protesting this war or that war or getting all indignant that oil companies are making nine cents a gallon.
  Let young people get all worked up and indignant about darfur-- and if you wish to then you can join them. Just count me out.