[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu May 4 16:56:49 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> if you have two identical, but separate brains,
> this must add up to two separate *instances*
> of one *type* of mind.

If you're correct let's see where that leads, if you have two identical but
separate calculators adding up 2 + 2 they must add up to two separate
*instances* of the number 4; the symbol "4" that one calculator displays
stands for something profoundly different than what the symbol "4" the
other calculator displays stands for. The same would be true of mental
arithmetic, so if you ask me how much is 2 +2 and I say 4 I am incorrect,
but if you answer your own question and say 4 then you are correct. This
could be a teeny tiny bit of a problem for physicists and mathematicians.

> Cryonics preserves types of life, not instances of life so I see no point
> in signing up for suspension.

But you oppose anesthesia for exactly the same reason, so you think Cryonics
is no more dangerous than anesthesia, and that's a ringing endorsement in my
book.

  John K Clark