[extropy-chat] Let's try this again.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon May 8 20:33:20 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Herrlich

> I've always acknowledged that the idea sounds "crazy". But that alone is
> not solid grounds for dismissing it altogether.

That' true, I've always loved the Niels Bohr quote:
" Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true". However when
I say Mr. Heartland's ideas are crazy I don't just mean they are very odd, I
mean they are illogical and not connected to reality. According to him if I
went to the dentist yesterday to have a tooth pulled and had a anesthetic
then I died and today I am only one day old, I am going to the dentist again
tomorrow but Mr. Hartland would advise me not to or the same horrible thing
would happen to me again. The disconnect from reality is that apart from the
loss of a tooth nothing horrible happened to me yesterday so there is no
reason to fear the dentist tomorrow. If I "die" tomorrow in the same way I
"died" yesterday then I don't care, the word has lost its power and meaning.

>  I doubt any philosopher from the past has stood before his peers and
> claimed with a straight face: "Though I appear to you to be alive, I
> actually died yesterday."

I couldn't say that with a straight face either, but I know one man who
could.

   John K Clark