[extropy-chat] Cryonics questions...

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 04:54:36 UTC 2006

Anna:
> Is mind solely information and is the brain just
> matter?

The physical essence of mind is an activity of matter in time and space.
Information cannot store activity itself while static matter by itself isn't
activity so a frozen, static brain matter plus information about the structure of
that brain is not enough to preserve an instance of a mind because laws of physics
simply do not allow it. It's not a conventional view even among transhumanists, but
I'm confident that with time it will be accepted as an undisputed fact.

Even though an *instance* of mind cannot be preserved, cryonics should be able to
preserve the *type* of the mind. You just need to decide what's more important to
you, your type or your instance. If it's type then I think it would be a good idea
to sign up for suspension. If it's instance, then I'm afraid that time travel
technology is the only hope.

S.